This page brings together links to useful tools and information to help you with any influencing or advocacy you may want to undertake.
We’re always looking to add to this, so if you have a good case study, have found a useful resource or just want to suggest something you want us to develop, please get in touch.
BDA Policy Statements
The BDA maintains a selection of evidence-based and referenced policy statements which can be shared with policymakers, the public and the media to provide clear statements of the BDA’s position on a range of important topics. New policy statements are constantly under development and all are subject to regular review. See the full list of BDA policy statements here.
The BDA responds to consultations on a regular basis, and like Policy Statements, these give a clear indication of the Association's view on a particular subject. If you are planning on trying to influence in your local area, it might be worth checking to see if the BDA has already pulled together some of the key arguments. These responses are written in conjunction with specialist groups and subject matter experts and published on the Consultation pages of the website.
These documents and links provide background information on important issues, policies and people that you might find useful in preparing or planning your activity.
The Kings Fund publishes a range of useful briefing on healthcare matters, including:
- The NHS 10-Year Plan (England)
- Digital Change in Health and Social Care
- The alternative guide to the health and care system in England
Sustainability and Transformation Plans
Access all their publications here.
The NHS Confederation (in England and in Wales) produces regular briefings on a range of topics, sometimes with BDA involvement:
- Understanding STPs
- The reality behind the 2019–24 NHS funding settlement
- Finance and the NHS in Wales
- Rural Health in Wales
- "Healthier Wales"
You can find more of their resources here.
Other useful briefings and sources of information include:
- Dietitian, Nutritionist, Nutritional Therapist or Diet Expert leaflet: This short leaflet is a comprehensive guide to roles and functions of these different professionals. Useful to give to members of the public.
- The TUC have published the report "Lift the cap: A fair deal for public service workers" looking at pay restraint for public sector workers over the last seven years.
Brexit has been a particular area for focus in recent months for understandable reasons. We collated a number of different briefings that might be helpful below.
- "How to prepare if the UK leaves the EU with no deal" - a huge range of papers from UK government.
- Welsh Government have published a set of communications on how they are preparing for Brexit.
- Find out more on Brexit from the Scottish Government perspective.
- NHS Confed: A guide to Brexit Acronyms: A helpful guide to the various acronyms used in relation to the complex issue of Brexit.
NHS Confed: Managing EU withdrawal in health andsocial care in Wales: Frequently asked
questions (Constantly updated)
- NHS Confed: The key issues for health and social care organisations as the UK prepares to leave the European Union
- The Food Research Collaboration have published a briefing on Food Security Post-Brexit.